Welcome to SMART CiTY Leeds where you can find out all about smart city initiatives and projects going on in the city.
Nationally, internet access has risen from just 9% in 1998 to 86% in 2015. However, despite this huge growth there remains a sizeable proportion of the population who have not been able to experience the benefits that digital literacy and connectivity can offer.
100% Digital Leeds aims to tackle the three main barriers to digital inclusion and to address the knowledge gap of what is available.
Lack of online skills/confidence
- Work with the organisations across Leeds that offer digital skills training
- Improve referral pathways
- Make it easier for people to find the support they need. For example: https://digitalleeds.tinderfoundation.org/
Cost of equipment and broadband access
- Promote free access to the internet via public access PCs or free Wi-Fi in council venues and elsewhere
- Introduce a tablet lending scheme for priority groups so that people can get online in their own homes
Lack of interest/motivation
- Use local and national events such as Leeds Digital Festival, Get Online Week, Festival of Learning etc. to showcase and raise awareness of the benefits of being online
- Ensure council staff have the skills and confidence to be advocates for digital when dealing with clients/customers
- Use channel shift and council services becoming Digital by Default as an opportunity to encourage more people to get online
To find out more about 100% Digital Leeds contact: Jason.Tutin@leeds.gov.uk